Wednesday 16 January 2013

SWIMMING FOR MY LIFE



My friend Cocky Janse from Holland at the Hot Salt Water Pool in 2009. 

Before I went swimming this morning I filled my No. 2 boobies with dacron.  I was so glad I found the bag with fluff (bought at Spotlight) while I was cleaning out the hot-water-cylinder cupboard which not only houses the hot water cylinder but also sheets and pillow cases for Miriam, scarves, handbags, table cloths for our round dining table, larger table cloths for when the table is pulled out.  Later out came the lacy doilies, more crochetted stuff,  a shoe box with pieces of soap, two swimsuits (one since thrown away), tablecloths, serviettes, lots and lots of 'nice' bags to put presents for others in, and lots and lots of brown bags saved for situations that need brown bags.  I'd been looking everywhere for the fluff bag and was glad I'd started the cupboard cleaning after having postponed it for months.

I need to ('want to' is probably a more correct word) insert these No.2 boobies into the top of my swimsuit before I leave the house for the swimming pool.  My excuse is that I do feel more 'dressed' this way when I'm swimming.

I have to give the background which made me think of numbering my falsies.  My husband, Bart, belongs to the Dunedin's Returned Servicemen's Association choir.  Twice a year this choir performs at their official concerts, as well as a concert on Anzac Day (25 April) and they sing at St Paul's Cathedral on Remembrance Sunday in November.   They are often asked to sing when it's time to finally farewell a singing companion.

For official concerts the men wear the No. 1 uniform - dinner suit, white shirt, bow tie, but for the other less official performances they have to present themselves in their No. 2 uniform - black trousers and, from this year on, a red jacket with a black collar.  They'll be looking so good.

Now back to the numbering.  After I'd had life-saving surgery in 1981 I was left with a painful arm.  My much respected surgeon suggested I'd take up swimming.  I was working full time and used to get up five days a week at 6 a.m. to swim before I'd go to work.  I have kept this up, but now only twice a week and starting a bit later.  It has helped enormously and I have always been grateful for Mr S's advice.  There's something about swimming, the regular breathing, the freedom of movement.  I am a different person then.  My only sadness is that I can't take Miriam with me in the water, she used to be such a good swimmer before she had the stroke.

A second mastectomy made me feel more 'balanced' and I then tossed up whether to become a flat-fronted swimmer.  I decided against it, and so the numbering system came into force.  My good No. 1's are left at home, they are heavy in the swimming bag and I don't want to damage them as they are very, very expensive.  But my No. 3 falsies go into the bag and I use them after swimming, they are light and much smaller, soft filled substitutes for my previous female glory.  They won't get wet and don't need replacing as often as the No. 1's.  Once home, I put them back into the swimming bag and so the routine is complete again.

I am glad I have this triple-spare-parts choice.  Don't get me wrong, it's taken me a long time to adjust to the status quo but I count my blessings that I have seen my children grow up and that I regularly can go to Dunedin's wonderful Moana Pool or the invigorating St Clair Hot Salt Water Pool (see photo of my friend Cocky who loves swimming as much as I do).

So here's to LIFE and to Numbers One, Two and Three.






3 comments:

  1. Love your frankness and humour, HH. Long may you swim and enjoy the freedom of our other medium. xx P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding my voice to Pen's, Huberta. . . I love your candour and transparency. The (hi)story you've shared here is inspiring. Much love, C xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, thank you so much. Good to hear from you. Look forward to catching up soon. I'm glad I did write about this issue although hesitated quite a bit. Much love, Huberta

      Delete